Granola Bars

Did you know that the average granola bar has 26 ingredients??!  I didn't either until I happened to actually take the time to count...I was astonished!
This prompted me to try and find a homemade granola bar recipe.  You can wrap the bars in plastic wrap and store them for a week too (if they last that long!)  
These can be made with an endless variety of extras: almonds, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut and many different types of dried fruit.  I made mine with Craisins and wheat germ.  My kids loved them and I feel better about them eating these than the old box of Quaker granola bars.  I think I will be making them much more often!

Granola Bars:
click here for printable version
adapted from Alton Brown


2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup almond slivers
1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
6 ounces honey
1/4 dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
6 ounces dried fruit, chocolate chips, coconut or anything you want!


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
Spread oats, wheat germ and almond slivers on a 9 x 13 baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat honey, sugar, vanilla, salt and butter over medium heat until combined.
Reduce oven to 300 degrees.
Stir toasted oat mixture into honey mixture.
Pour into buttered dish and press down.  
Bake for 30 minutes.
Allow to cool completely and cut into rectangles.





0 comments: