Roasted Tomato Basil Soup


This is not my recipe, BUT it is, hands down, the best tomato soup I have ever had. I have made it twice and am regretting buying six cans of condensed tomato soup.  I wish I had had more time to plate it in a nicer way.  I literally got home from soccer practice put my soup in a bowl, took a picture, ate it and ran to a meeting.  I think the next time I make it, I will get a better picture and replace this one.  This recipe calls for heavy cream, I found that after blending the soup you really didn't need the cream.  You could still add the it though, to make it even better.   I strongly encourage you to try this one, you'll never buy Campbell's again!


Roasted Tomato Basil Soup:
borrowed from Wives with Knives
click here for printable version

3 # fresh tomatoes, cut in half 
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups sliced onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves)
1 cup fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream (optional)


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Put tomatoes, olive, garlic and salt in a bowl and mix.  Spread tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet, bake for 45 minutes.

In a large stockpot heat two tablespoons of olive oil and saute the onions and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes.  Add the bay leaves, thyme, basil and chicken stock.  Add the tomatoes, and any liquid from roasting. 
Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.

Remove the bay leaves.  Blend with an immersion blender or let the soup cool a little and blend in a food processor or blender.  
Add the cream, if desired.





2 comments:

Jean said...

I will vouch for this one...it is fantastic!

kkreations said...

Looks very Yummy!
Your blog name would make a good name for a restaurant!