Tuscan White Bean & Garlic Soup

So this is the week for recipes that don't take good pictures, but remember...you can't put taste in a picture!  This is a really easy soup that everyone in my family ate (with a little bit of coaxing.)  I added a lot of extra seasoning to the original recipe, because I found that it was too bland.  This is a definite do-over for me;  easy, healthy and all my boys ate!  We paired the soup with a loaf of freshly baked bread, the perfect compliment.


Tuscan White Bean & Garlic Soup:
click here for printable version
adapted from Giada De Laurentiis


2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
2 teaspoons dried sage
2-15 ounce cans cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken broth
6 garlic cloves, cut in 1/2
1/2 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste


Heat the butter and oil in a medium soup pot over medium heat.  Add the shallot and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the sage and beans.  Add the broth and bring mixture to a boil.  Add the garlic and simmer for about 10 minutes.  
Use an immersion blender to blend the soup and make smooth.
Add the cream, pepper and salt to taste.

2 comments:

Jean said...

I think this might be dinner Saturday night...

Molly said...

One more tip, the recipe called for fresh sage but only 1 leaf. I didn't buy it because I didn't want to waste the rest. If you have fresh sage, I would use about 2 or 3 leaves and mince them before adding to the soup.
I hope you like it!