Pumpkin Soup


I have to admit I was a little bit skeptical of this soup.  I wasn't sure if I was going to like a pumpkin soup.  We all really liked it though!  It has a great balance of flavors and my kids actually ate it too.  That being said, I think this will be my last pumpkin recipe of the fall! 


Pumpkin Soup:
adapted from Rachael Ray
click here for printable version

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 bay leaf
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 onion, diced
3 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
2 teaspoons hot sauce
6 cups chicken stock
1-28 ounce can pumpkin
1 cup heavy cream 
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper


Heat a medium pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil and butter.  Saute the bay leaf and onion for 6 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add flour, poultry seasoning and hot sauce, to taste, then cook for 1 minute.  Whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Whisk in the pumpkin.  Simmer soup for 10 minutes.

Add the cream and nutmeg.

0 comments: