Molasses Cookies


These cookies are a staple from my childhood and I am continuing the tradition with my kids. When I think of Christmas cookies I think of molasses cookies.  This is simliar to a ginger snap recipe but does have a couple of differences.  Ginger snaps are too hard for me, I prefer a softer, chewier cookie.  If you find that these get too hard you can add the heel of a loaf of bread in the cookie container and it will soften them again.  The cookies can be rolled and cut out and also rolled in colored sugar, as opposed to white sugar.  


Molasses Cookies:
click here for printable version

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
sugar for coating


In a mixing bowl add oil, dark brown sugar, egg and molasses.  Mix well. 
Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
Chill for 20-30 minutes.
Roll into balls and roll in sugar.  Put on a greased or lined cookie sheet.


Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the cookies crack.  Let cool on sheet for 1 minute.
OR
Roll out dough on a floured surface, cut out using cookie cutters and decorate with colored sugar.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.






0 comments: